What is Panaad Sa Negros
The term “Panaad sa Negros” has a few different interpretations, but it generally refers to a vow or promise made by the Negrenses (people of Negros) to protect and preserve their culture and heritage. “Panaad” is a Hiligaynon word which means “promise” or “vow”, while “Negros” refers to the province in the Western Visayas region of the Philippines where the festival takes place. Thus, “Panaad sa Negros” can be translated to “Promise to Negros” or “Vow to Negros”.
Panaad sa Negros is an annual festival held in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines, which showcases the culture, heritage, and products of the Negrenses, the people of Negros. The festival takes place for a week in April and is celebrated through various events and activities, including cultural performances, a street dance competition, a cooking competition, a beauty pageant, a livestock show, and a sports tournament.
The festival is also highlighted by the Panaad sa Negros Village, which features pavilions of different cities and municipalities in Negros Occidental that showcase their unique culture, traditions, and products. The festival is a celebration of the rich history and culture of the Negrenses, and it attracts thousands of visitors from all over the Philippines and around the world.
How did Panaad Sa Negros started
The Panaad sa Negros festival was started in 1993 by then Governor Rafael L. Coscolluela of Negros Occidental. The festival was created as a way to showcase the rich cultural heritage of the Negrenses and to promote the province’s tourism industry.
The first Panaad sa Negros festival was held in the city of Bacolod and was a success, attracting thousands of visitors from all over the Philippines and even from other countries. Since then, the festival has become an annual event and has grown in popularity and significance over the years.
The festival has become a platform for the Negrenses to showcase their unique culture, traditions, and products. It has also become an opportunity for the people of Negros to come together and celebrate their shared identity and heritage.
Today, the Panaad sa Negros festival is one of the biggest and most anticipated events in Negros Occidental, drawing visitors from all over the world who come to experience the vibrant culture and warm hospitality of the Negrenses.
What to expect during the celebration
If you are planning to attend the Panaad sa Negros festival, there are many exciting things that you can expect to experience during the week-long celebration. For fast and convenient transportation while in Bacolod, connect with Bacolod Car Rental for reservation. Here are some of the highlights:
- Panaad sa Negros Village – This is a must-visit destination during the festival. It is located in the sports complex of Bacolod City, and it features pavilions of different cities and municipalities in Negros Occidental. Each pavilion showcases their unique culture, traditions, and products, which visitors can sample and purchase.
- Cooking Competition – Negros is known for its delicious cuisine, and during the festival, there is a cooking competition where the best chefs in the province showcase their culinary skills.
- Livestock Show – Agriculture is a major industry in Negros Occidental, and during the festival, there is a livestock show where farmers showcase their livestock, including cattle, pigs, and goats.
- Beauty Pageant – The festival also features a beauty pageant where young women from Negros Occidental compete for the title of “Panaad Queen”.
- Cultural Performances – There are also cultural performances throughout the festival, showcasing the music, dance, and traditions of the Negrenses.
The Negros Occidental government headed by Governor Bong Lacson launches the 27th year of the celebration with its theme “The Promise Renewed”.
Here’s the SCHEDULE OF ACTIVITIES FOR PANAAD SA NEGROS 2023:
The Panaad sa Negros festival is a celebration of the Negrenses’ promise to protect and preserve their culture and heritage. It is a showcase of the creativity, talent, and rich traditions of the people of Negros, and it is a testament to the province’s vibrant and thriving community.
If you are planning to visit the Philippines, make sure to add the Panaad sa Negros festival to your itinerary and experience the colorful and festive celebration of Negrense culture and heritage.